Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Make Your Own Solid Perfume

Solid Perfume Tutorial

What you'll need:
Beeswax (I used granulated, but you can also use chunks of it. It just takes longer to melt)
Organic coconut oil
Essential Oils of your choice (I used orange, lemon, and grapefruit)

What you'll do:

Using a small saucepan, put a couple inches of water to boil on the stove. Once water has boiled, turn it down to medium heat.

While the water is boiling, using a measuring spoon, put 1 tsp of beeswax (or a small chunk) and 1-2  tsp of coconut oil (I used two and got two pots of the finished product) in a glass or metal bowl which will fit on top of the saucepan. You don't want the bottom of the bowl to touch the water; making a double boiler of sorts.






Next, stir the mixture with a plastic silverware  utensil, or something else you don't care about getting wax on, until it melts completely. Remove from heat with oven mitts.

Add your essential oils. How much you add is dependent on how strong you want your scent. For mine, I added 20 drops of grapefruit (the scent I wanted the most), 10 drops of orange, and 10 drops of lemon.

Stir the oils into the mixture and carefully pour it into your chosen container(s). It will set up fairly fast depending on the depth of your container. See how mine are setting up slightly different?





Here is the final result below. I love the smell; but the orange overpowered the grapefruit so I'll adjust that next time.




Notes:

In order to better customize your scent, you might want to mix the oils in a separate bowl first. This way you can add more drops easily to adjust the smell.

If you are really interested in blending essential oils, check this site out. They have oodles of recipes to experiment with. 

Update! Next time I'll add more of the essential oils for a stronger, longer-lasting scent. However, I discovered I'll use this recipe for lip balm. It works great, keeps my lips soft, and smells and tastes wonderful!



 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment